Posted on 2004-08-13
I write with reference to a particular networking problem I am attempting to tackle. The details are listed below:
- My PC (actually a mobile handset; for the sake of this argument we will just consider it a pc) is behind a firewall, is NATted and has been assigned a private IP
- I wish to access a live video streaming camera which has been assigned a public IP on the Internet
- Firewall policy defined allows all traffic requests originating from within the network on ports 554/8554 to go thru the f/wall
- All is perfect till this point.
- NOW, after the initial handshake between the camera and the pc is over, the RTSP connection breaks.
- At this point the camera starts sending the RTP stream (over UDP) to the PC
- However, and this is where the problem lies, the firewall does not allow these packets to enter the network
Please suggest ways to overcome the problem. I hve been advised to explore building a kind of a white list at the firewall of these streaming cameras whos IP addresses are fixed.
Would appreciate thoughts/sugestions...cheers!