Win2000 Server - local admin password changed to blank
Posted on 2004-08-13
Win2000 Server SP4
File and Printer server, not a DC
Not running Active Directory
Our sysadmin tried to reboot this server and found that he couldn't.
While investigating, he discovered some strange behaviour:
- could not run Norton AV
- the local admin password was blank
- couldn't surf the internet
- couldn't open Computer Management
- couldn't open Services
- couldn't execute batch files in a command window
- couldn't run 'net stop' in command window
- could not stop most processes in task manager. "Access denied"
- computer would not shut down. When he pressed the power button, a message flashed
saying something about Remote Storage not shutting down. (message flashed too quickly to get more detail)
When he powered the computer back up, he booted into safe mode and ran a virus scan. It came back clean.
After determining the admin password was blank, he changed the password and all is running fine now.
The questions are: have you heard of this happening before? What would cause this?