Exchange 2k/Win2k crash, fresh install of Win2k/recovery install of Exchange 2k- IS has to be manually mounted

Have a customer who has a Win2k DC running Exch2k that crashed. Had to remove the crashed DC out of AD, siezed the master roles from another server, re-installed fresh copy of Win2k on the server that crashed-installed patches and ran dcpromo. Performed a "disaster recovery" install of Exchange because drive d: in which it originally resided on was not harmed as a result of the crash, applied SP3 and the latest roll-up patch. I also of course ran both the forestprep & domain prep prior to the install.

Problem: both the private & public information store's will not start automatically, however I can start them manually and email seems to work fine.

Lots of event viewer messages related to the following:

System log:

Event ID 10004:DCOM-- got error "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress. " and was unable to logon .\IWAM_xxxxx in order to run the server: {3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1}

Application log:

Event ID 8250: MSExchangeAL-- The Win32 API call 'DsGetDCNameW' returned error code [0x862] The specified component could not be found in the configuration information.  The service could not be initialized.  Make sure that the operating system was installed properly.

EventID: 2102: Process MAD.EXE (PID=1432). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding:

EventID: 2121:MSMQ--Unable to complete Message Queuing Setup. Hresult- c00e0075h
EventID: 2124:MSMQ--Message Queuing was unable to join the local Windows 2000 domain. Hresult- c00e0075h

EventID: 9176: MSExchangeSA--NSPI Proxy can contact Global Catalog but it does not support the NSPI service. After a Domain Controller is promoted to a Global Catalog, the Global Catalog must be rebooted to support MAPI Clients.  Reboot as soon as possible.

EventID:9175:MSExchangeSA--The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error:
The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available.  Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance. The MAPI provider failed. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
ID no: 8004011d-0526-00000000

EventID:1005:MSExchangeSA--Unexpected error <<0xc1050000 - The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance. The MAPI provider failed. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 8004011d-0526-00000000>> occurred.

I have looked at the MS KB for most of these and it is not very forth coming with info: I have checked the System Attendant service logon account to ensure it using the local system acct. I have also looked at permissions within Exchange.

My question is, should I run the Eseutil /r for recovery, /p for repair and /g for integrity check? I have not run this util on this particular database yet but I am wondering if this would be a recommended solution based on the issue I am having...


Who is Participating?
scottman29Connect With a Mentor Commented:
do you think it's possible that the usernames and passwords for the services are preventing the startup?  Are they correct for IWAM?  That may be the cause.

about the other issue, here's a snippet I found that may be some help to you.  It deals with the first application error you got:
Thanks for the response.  Are you basing that on the slow emaili or the error messages?  My email server is set up to the external DNS address of the router that accepts our Internet connection.  My email serveris my DNS server (I only have two servers on the network.  The other is an NT server.).  It's obvious that my network is not set up correctly, but I'm not exactly sure how this should be configured.  Should my email/DNS server have a DNS settting back to itself?  Then all my workstations should be getting the address of the server?  Currently, they also take the external DNS address allocated from the router that the Internet connection comes in on.
yea, that's the issue. Outlook clients need a GC to find the Exchange server. Internal DNS is how you find the FQDN of the GC, the outside world shouldn't know it, and usually don't. All clients, including the Exchange server and the DNS server, need to point to internal DNS, and then internal DNS needs to be configured with forwarders to public, or external DNS servers, for all requests that are destined for domains other than yours. that's why you're having this problem, I'd just bet on it. After you change these settings, go to the cmd line on the server, and on the clients and type these 4 lines:

net stop netlogon
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
net start netlogon

I doubt you'll need to restart the SMTP, but you can if you feel the need.


Sorry I'm just getting info for you, but I hope that's helpful for you.


Here's the main link if you need it:Q_20890062

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.