It seems i ran in some problems when i was doing an upgrade from a w2k server with exchange 2000 enterprise to w2k3 server with exchange 2003 enterprise.
This is the situation:
We have 2 dc's. 1 is a w2k file and print server, the other a w2k exchange 2000 server. The main problem with the file and print server is that the are running applications for finance that we are not sure of that they will work under windows 2003. So we decided to first upgrade the exchange server.
The upgrade went fine, there where no problems during the exchange upgrade and no problems after that during the windows 2003 upgrade.
All accounts are still working and mail is comming in. Even the web access is working internal. And that was one of the main reasons to do the upgrade. But right after the compleet install i found out that the eventviewer wasn't accesable. After some reading i found out that the administrator account probably belongt to the quest group and that was the case. So one problem solved.
When i looked in the eventviewer i saw 2 kinds of errors. Userevent errors and MSExchangeSA errors. We found out that when a user opend the outlook from office xp the server displayed an error. It wasn't possible to mail from clients, outlook just closed. On clients that have outlook 2003 on them it is possible to send email, but still new errors are shown in the eventviewer.
The 2 MSExchangeSA are
Event ID: 9074
Description The Directory Service Referral interface failed to service a client request. RFRI is returning the error code:[0x3f0].
Event ID: 9143
Description Description: Referral Interface cannot contact any Global Catalog that supports the NSPI Service. Clients making RFR requests will fail to connect until a Global Catalog becomes available again. After a Domain Controller is promoted to a Global Catalog, it must be rebooted to support MAPI Clients.
For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp
I have looked them up, to solve the problems but that didn't work.
as described in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;279742
i tried to resolve the 9143 error, but this didn't work.
If i try to solve error 9074 as described in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314294
, the following happens. If i use the Policytest.exe on the exchange server i get an Right found: "SeSecurityPrivilege" on both dc's. If i try it on the w2k file and print server i get an !! LsaEnumerateAccountRights returned error 5 !! on the exchange server.
If i try to do it the way as described in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q300114
the ipconfig /flushdns and the ipconfig /registerdns work, but if i try it from the w2k file and print server the ipconfig /registerdns doesnt work.
I also found out that if i go to users and computers, and try to edit the policies on the exchange server i get an error, and i cant see the policies. If i do this on the file and print server everything works fine.
I personaly think the problems are there because there is one w2k server and 1 windows2003 server. Some how there is a problem with right on the exchange server, other wise i should be possible to change the policies. I use the administrator account, which has all the rights.
But do you know how to solve this. It will take several weeks before we will know for sure if we can safely upgrade the file and print server to windows 2003.