Wierd DHCP problem on a new Windows Server 2003 install on new Dell equipment. The lan consists of 10/100 switch, 3 xp pro clients and the server at the moment, all of which are brand new equipment and other test have shown they operate absolutely normal with static ip's assigned.
The server will begin dishing out IPs if I ...
1) delete all scopes
2) stop DCHP service
3) change the subnet assigned to the server's only NIC to a subnet NEVER TRIED BEFORE
4) restart the DHCP service
5) authorize the DCHP server
6) add a new scope on the new subnet and activate it
If I reboot the server, with no other changes, it will not hand out IPs when it comes back up.
If, after I reboot, I change the subnet to a totally new one (not yet tried), it will service clients.
If I try going back to a previously tried subnet, it will not work.
I've tried manipulating scope options in a variety of ways on different attempts of resolving the issue. The issue occurs whether there are any scope options set or not.
My desired setting includes only a single scope of 192.168.0.x with router, gateway, wins, and DNS entries for options.
For reference, DNS server has not been changed from original configuration when W2003 was setup.
This behavior also kills the "http://companyweb
" site. I may bring that up in a different thread.