Shares and file rights backup & Restore
Posted on 2004-08-18
We are in the position to move 50 + GB data to new volume on the same server.
looking to something like below..
There is lot of share with diff permission and files& folders with different NTFS rights.
1. Current volume is R : which is 50 GB and 49 GB is full.
2. We already created one volume which is 150 GB. S:
3. Our plan is to copy data from 50 GB R: volume to 150 GB S: volume.( No backup software in place )
4. make sure shares are created back and applied with all file rights and NTFS rights.
5. Change the drive letter for the 50 GB volume to T: and assign R: for new 150 GB drive.
6. Now user shd be able to work in the new drive without any change in their mapping.
Now I am looking for some tools for step 4.
gather all share information ( share name - fodler shared - user permissions to the share )
gather all NTFS permissions.
using some tools create the shares ( with permissions) back.
and as well for NTFS permissions.
I tried with srvcheck.exe for shares. That is not giving all share informations.
and i thought of ntrights.exe and showacls.exe ....but i am looking for something better way then this....