Solved

Outlook 2003 returning errors durring send and recieve

Posted on 2004-08-20
8
644 Views
Last Modified: 2012-06-21
I have just set up exchange in our clinic and am testing it with two test accounts, EXtest1 and EXtest2.
I set up the outlook profiles on 2 PCs and sent 2 emails from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1.
EXtest1 is running W2Kpro and Outlook 2003
EXtest2 is running WinXP and Outlook XP (Outlook 2002).

the test email was received by EXtest2 (Outlook XP) with no problems and no errors
the test email was received by EXtest1 (Outlook 2003) with no problem, but returned an error:
"Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F): 'The operation failed.  An object could not be found'"

Strangely, the Outlook 2003 computer showed 2 tasks when I did a send and receive.  The 1st one was the send and receive itself (which succeeded), and the 2nd one was "Microsoft Exchange Server, saving synchronization log" which failed with the above error.  The Outlook XP computers only showed 1 task, the send and receive.

Does anyone know the meaning of this error?

Thanks in advance!!!
0
Comment
Question by:starmonkey
  • 5
  • 2
8 Comments
 
LVL 15

Expert Comment

by:scampgb
ID: 11853799
Hi starmonkey,

There's a PAQ that deals with this at http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/MS_Office/Outlook/Q_21069519.html

It refers to an MS Support doc that handles the various scenarios.

Hope that this helps.
0
 
LVL 4

Author Comment

by:starmonkey
ID: 11853956
I'm getting the same error number, but curiously, the email in the outbox is sent and recieved normally.
In short, it seems to be working even though I'm getting an error.  In the thread above the email never gets sent and stays in the outbox.
0
 
LVL 104

Expert Comment

by:Sembee
ID: 11854614
Immediately next to the error message it should say what it was synchronising. That is where the error message is.
If there aren't too many errors, why not just post the sync log here and we will confirm which folder has the problem.
There are some usual suspects.

Simon.
0
Is Your AD Toolbox Looking More Like a Toybox?

Managing Active Directory can get complicated.  Often, the native tools for managing AD are just not up to the task.  The largest Active Directory installations in the world have relied on one tool to manage their day-to-day administration tasks: Hyena. Start your trial today.

 
LVL 4

Author Comment

by:starmonkey
ID: 11854806
The error message appears on the task, "saving synchronization log."  The specific error is, "The operation failed.  An object could not be found."

I can't find what it was synchronising.  The entire error is below:

"! Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F): 'The operation failed.  An object could not be found'"
The only other information is under the "tasks" tab:

"Microsoft Exchange Server - Sending   completed"
"Microsoft Exchange Server                    errors"
at the bottom of this tab:
"Microsoft Exchange Server"
"saving synchronization log"

Is the "object" perhaps the log itself?

Where is the sync log located?  I could also find it if I knew the filename of the sync log.

I'm working under the assumption that the log is located on the local workstation, and not the Exchange server itself.
0
 
LVL 104

Accepted Solution

by:
Sembee earned 250 total points
ID: 11854856
The log is stored in Outlook - usually in the deleted items folder.
I think you might be looking at the prompt in the window itself.

Something like this:

17:58:25 Synchronizing Hierarchy
17:58:26 Synchronizing Favorites
17:58:31 Canceled
17:58:32 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
17:58:32       0X80040113

Simon.
0
 
LVL 4

Author Comment

by:starmonkey
ID: 11854959
You are right; I am looking at the prompt window.  It is the only source of information on this problem I can find.

Interesting.  The deleted items folder is empty
0
 
LVL 4

Author Comment

by:starmonkey
ID: 11855058
EDIT:  I just took a look in the help files and found out that this log is kept in the deleted items in pre-2003 outlook versions only.  In Outlook 2003, they are in the Sync Issues folder.  Here is the log:

10:40:21 Synchronizer Version 11.0.6352
10:40:21 Synchronizing Mailbox 'EXtest1'
10:40:21 Synchronizing Hierarchy
10:40:22 Done
10:40:22 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
10:40:22       0X8004010F


the last 2 lines are in red
0
 
LVL 4

Author Comment

by:starmonkey
ID: 11887878
It was the offline address book.  It wasn't set up on the server
0

Featured Post

Does Powershell have you tied up in knots?

Managing Active Directory does not always have to be complicated.  If you are spending more time trying instead of doing, then it's time to look at something else. For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Utilizing an array to gracefully append to a list of EmailAddresses
Marketers need statistics and metrics like everybody else needs oxygen. In this article we explain how to enable marketing campaign statistics for Microsoft Exchange mail.
In this video we show how to create an Accepted Domain in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Ac…
In this Micro Video tutorial you will learn the basics about Database Availability Groups and How to configure one using a live Exchange Server Environment. The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability grou…

839 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question