ODBC data source fails to connect to SQL Server 2000 via dial-up, but ok on broadband.
Posted on 2004-08-25
Hello, I have a situation in which a laptop user works from home, using a proprietary application.
This application connects to a SQL Server at the office using ODBC. Although I think irrelevant at this point, the user connects to office LAN via VPN.
The ODBC data source setup on client's laptop connects successfully and therefore the application runs well, so long as he is at home (where he has a broadband connection to Internet).
If he leaves home and goes on the road (w/ same laptop), uses dial-up to connect to Internet, the application subsequently fails (I check and find that it is the ODBC data source that does not connect successfully).
Machine is running XP Home with the latest version of SQL Server data source.
Error is something along the lines of: SQL Server not found or invalid user name (I'm paraphrasing).
My attempts at solution:
ODBC is setup to authenticate using Windows NT authentication (not SQL Server user authentication).
Note that there are 6 other users on home, broadband connections with no problems at all who connect to the office LAN every day.
This implies - I believe - that it is indeed just a dial-up issue.
I've tried different dial-up ISPs; inquired with them to determined if it is a known problem.
I checked the time-out settings in SQL Server, for the possibility that connection is timing out and set it to its highest.
I hope this information helps. Thanks.