Cisco 837 VLAN / Multinet
Posted on 2004-08-26
I have a Cisco 837 with IOS acting as an ADSL router on a single LAN at the moment. The router has a 4 port hub built in as you probably know.
I've been reading a little about VLANs and multinetting and wondered if I could use this to my advantage in the following scenario:
- LAN 1 - main LAN for internal business use
- LAN 2 - proposed test LAN
- VPN between LAN 1 and LAN 2 using the 837's ports
- Each nework must be completely separate (different subnets) and no machines should be able to see each other unless the VPN is up
- I use NAT on the 837 for getting to LAN 1 VPN Server (Windows 2003 Server) from the Internet. Can I set up a second VPN server operating on a different port on LAN 2 using NAT on the 837?
The purpose of the exercise is to avoid doubling up on routers and phone lines / ADSL fees if possible.