I recently set up a new Windows 2000 server with AD. It went like this:
1) I started with NT 4 domain.
2) I set up a brand new machine with NT 4 and made it a BDC.
3) I took the PDC offline, then upgraded the new BDC to Windows 2000 Server and installed Active Directory.
This is where I think an error was made.
4) When installing AD, I gave the domain the name "vmi."
5) The installation went smoothly, I set up DNS on the same machine. All clients were then configured to see the new server DNS settings. Everything works great.
6) Now I am attempting to setup an additional new domain controller. Windows 2000 is installed but each time I run DCPROMO I get the error "Active Directory domain controller for the domain could not be contacted." I have went through all the steps in Microsoft document Q260371. It appears that I may have a "disjointed DNS Namespace".
7) Is my problem the name I used (vmi.) when setting up AD and must be done to correct it.