I have been given the task of completelly revamping our company network. Being a small/medium sized company I am the only IT/Programmer/Help Desk/Therapist.
I thought it might be fun. Anyway, I already have a basic idea of how it is going to work but this could be interesting.
Here is a little background of our company.
1. We are a Mortgage company. We are comprised of 40 employees, 4 Brokers with the rest Loan Officers and Loan Processors.
2. We are strictly Terminal Service based. All users connect over the network using WySE Winterms.
3. Our current migrating to a database driven Loan Origination Software called Encompass written by Ellie Mae.
4. We run a corporate intranet I wrote myself and would like to eventually move from a user/file based system to a user/sharepoint based system.
5. We host our own email server that is filtered by Postini.
6. Did I mention we are opening remote offices???
I think that coveres the jist of our company, now on to the goals and requirements.
Goals and/or Requirements
1. Scalability. I am not sure how big this thing can grow so it needs to be scalable.
2. Redundancy. If something crashes, right now I am the only one to fix it. I would like the Exchange/DSN/Active Directory/SQL server to be clustered if possible and the Terminal Servers to run Network Load Balancing. However I am open to suggestions.
3. Storrage. Being we are just a Mortgage company we don't host a huge number of files. But don't forget #1.
4. Remote offices. We are hosting remote offices using terminal services, we may run into bandwidth issues.
5. Security. We can get into a load of trouble if we get hacked.
6. Windows Windows Windows. I like Microsoft. It will be running Windows Server 2003 Standard/Enterprise and Exchange 2003
Now for the big one
7. It has to come in the range of $20,000 - $30,000 licensing and all
8. Assume I have no current hardware/network other than what the clients use to connect.
9. All Servers/Storage must be Dell
I think that covers it. If could assign 50,000 points for this I would :o)
Any ideas are appreciated and I will be tracking this and putting together the ideas.