A hard drive that I am using for backup on my server keeps losing its formatting. I'll format it and use it for several weeks at a time. Then one day the O/S reports the partition as unformatted, and I'll lose all the data on it. Here's the pertinent info:
- It's a Western Digital 200GB 7200 RPM ATA100 drive with 8MB cache, the "JB" model
- I've replaced it under RMA with Western Digital, but the problem continues
- My server uses a TYAN S2469UGN AMD MP motherboard
- The O/S is Windows 2000 Server
- I am using four RAID level 0 SCSI drives for my system and data drives
- I am using two of these WD drives for backup, but the other drive has no problems
- I am formatting/partitioning/using the two drives in pretty much the same manner.
- The faulty drive is set as master
- I'm formatting with NTFS and compression enabled
- The BIOS only recognizes 127GB.
Could it be the controller? BIOS needing upgrade? IDE cable?
Thanks in advance.
- I have only one NTFS partition of 127GB on