Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

My Computer Hard Disk gives electric Shock

Posted on 2004-08-30
11
Medium Priority
?
1,052 Views
Last Modified: 2008-02-01
Hello,
     I noticed my hard disk shocks and the casing compartment housing it if touched when I'm putting on nothing on my foot (i.e shoes/slippers ) .
    Can any one tell me how to go round this.
Thanks
0
Comment
Question by:speak2ab
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 4
  • 2
  • +1
11 Comments
 
LVL 69

Assisted Solution

by:Callandor
Callandor earned 75 total points
ID: 11932200
Two things:
1) Swap the power supply - your current one may be leaking current to ground.
2) Get your house outlet checked by an electrician - it may have been improperly installed.
0
 
LVL 9

Accepted Solution

by:
buckeyes33 earned 75 total points
ID: 11932378
By properly installed the ground must be connected.  Most older houses (50 or more years) do not have a ground built into the electrical configuration of the house.  With time the outlets have been changed to 3 pronged outlets.  These outlets have been installed without a ground making many household electrical safty devices useless.  One major example is a surge protector.  Without a ground you might as well just plug just right into the wall.  If this is the case with your house, then I would suggest that you have certain things or outlets rewired to include a ground wire.  
0
 
LVL 5

Author Comment

by:speak2ab
ID: 12370768
I have not posted on this topic because i happen not to have exhausted the options given by callandor above before now. I have verified option 2 long ago and I ascertained that the power outlet is not the problem because i brought another system to check and it gave no shock and thesame applies to all the outlets on the block . but for the optionof changing the power supply unit i have just been able to do that but thesame thing still hapens so what do you suggest i do now. Thanks
0
VIDEO: THE CONCERTO CLOUD FOR HEALTHCARE

Modern healthcare requires a modern cloud. View this brief video to understand how the Concerto Cloud for Healthcare can help your organization.

 
LVL 9

Expert Comment

by:buckeyes33
ID: 12371095
just because another system did not shock you, does not mean that your outlet is grounded correctly.
0
 
LVL 5

Author Comment

by:speak2ab
ID: 12461542
Well I have actually moved from my former hall to a new one entirely and thesame thing still happens. I think i have ruled out the possibility of the outlet being the problem right now, though it may be bad since i never got a technician to check the outlet before i left my former place. Right now i think this shocking thing is internal to the PC bcos i even had to take it  out for a programme and i still felt thesame shock even there too.
A friend of mine said that there is a screw that is making earth contacts with the motherboard and the casing. I have not verified that yet, but what do you think.
Thanks
0
 
LVL 9

Expert Comment

by:buckeyes33
ID: 12463719
I could see where that is a possiblity, usually when that happens though, your computer will not work.  

You could also have a problem with your power supply not being grounded correctly.   By this I mean the power supply its self has something wrong with it.  
0
 
LVL 5

Author Comment

by:speak2ab
ID: 12473688
I am actually using a UPS not direct power supply can it be the UPS that is causing this ?
0
 
LVL 9

Expert Comment

by:buckeyes33
ID: 12475389
You have to be using a power supply.  It is a componet of your computer.

If you are using a UPS, then I would assume that it would be one of the two not being grounded.  Which means that one of them is not functioning correctly
0
 
LVL 5

Author Comment

by:speak2ab
ID: 12555177
You mean the fault may be either my UPS or the System Power supply unit right ?
0
 
LVL 69

Expert Comment

by:Callandor
ID: 12555529
That would be my guess as well.
0
 
LVL 13

Expert Comment

by:compfixer101
ID: 14167526
No comment has been added to this question in more than 21 days, so it is now classified as abandoned..
I will leave the following recommendation for this question in the Cleanup topic area:
delete/ refund

Any objections should be posted here in the next 4 days. After that time, the question will be closed.

compfixer101
EE Cleanup Volunteer
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Site Down Detector

Helpful to verify reports of your own downtime, or to double check a downed website you are trying to access.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

No matter the version of Windows you are using, you may have some problems with Windows Search running too slow or possibly not running at all. Before jumping into how you can solve this issue, just know there are many other viable alternative deskt…
There are many software programs on offer that will claim to magically speed up your computer. The best advice I can give you is to avoid them like the plague, because they will often cause far more problems than they solve. Try some of these "do it…
Finding and deleting duplicate (picture) files can be a time consuming task. My wife and I, our three kids and their families all share one dilemma: Managing our pictures. Between desktops, laptops, phones, tablets, and cameras; over the last decade…
Want to learn how to record your desktop screen without having to use an outside camera. Click on this video and learn how to use the cool google extension called "Screencastify"! Step 1: Open a new google tab Step 2: Go to the left hand upper corn…

596 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question