My basic questions are as follows:
1. What is the best way to re-install Active Directory for my company?
2. Can I "export" the user list for "import" into the new Active Directory Schema?
3. What are the consequences of doing this?
In addition to that, I feel it best to provide background information...
1. The administrator that I replaced didn't do anything with Active Directory except the most basic (i.e. DNS & User List). So there are no Organizational Units; there are no weird permission issues.
2. The "first domain controller" is on Windows 2000, and there is an "additional domain controller" on Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition.
3. It appears that the previous admin installed Exchange 2003 Standard on the Windows 2003 machine, and then "re-installed" a completely new instance of Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on that same machine, without first removing it properly from Active Directory.
4. The Exchange Server is not in use. Yet. But I would like it to be.
5. I need to completely remove Active Directory, not just install over it.
5. If possible, I want to use ldifde.exe to export ONLY the users, so that after the 2000 machine is DEMOTED and all of AD is uninstalled -I can then import the user list back in and the whole thing will seem transparent to my users. (side question: what happens to passwords if this happens?)
Thank you in advance to whomever is willing and able to answer!