Solved

Corrupted ODBC

Posted on 2004-09-02
11
1,625 Views
Last Modified: 2011-01-10
We have a machine with an ODBC entry showing in the list of existing System Data Source.  However, no one can connect using it.  We cannot delete it or modify it; when we attempt to do so, we get an error telling us that it "is not an existing data source."

Huh?  If it shows on the list, it's got to exist, right?  Obviously, something has gotten corrupted and I don't want to charge in there like Atilla the Hun.  Has anyone ever encountered this before and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks!
0
Comment
Question by:Clothahump
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
11 Comments
 
LVL 43

Expert Comment

by:Eugene Z
ID: 11965319
0
 
LVL 7

Assisted Solution

by:FDzjuba
FDzjuba earned 50 total points
ID: 11965357
well its very irrelevent subject to MS SQL :) but anyway

check you got all the core components in the list
odbccp32.dll
odbcad32.exe
odbccr32.dll
odbc32.dll
odbcint.dll
odbccu32.dll

then try to log in as an admin on that machine and see if you can get it deleted or created as an admin.
0
 
LVL 4

Author Comment

by:Clothahump
ID: 11965535
Eugene - virus clean, most current MDAC was already installed.

FD - everything is there.  All of the other ODBC entries work correctly, it's just this one entry that's gonzoed.
0
SharePoint Admin?

Enable Your Employees To Focus On The Core With Intuitive Onscreen Guidance That is With You At The Moment of Need.

 
LVL 4

Assisted Solution

by:Thirt
Thirt earned 50 total points
ID: 11965914
See if this article helps: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;95012
Check out the file comparisons at the bottom.

I would still re-install Mdac.  I seem to remember having the same problem, but I just can't put my finger on it. I think another program came in and updated one of those files and the mdac re-install did not correct the problem. I had to manually replace the file.... I think.
0
 
LVL 43

Expert Comment

by:Eugene Z
ID: 11966179
use tjhis link below  as idea to create and delete hive with your "bad" DSN

...regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;110507...

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.


Using regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\
Find the hive that corresponds to your data source name. There you will find the keyword pairs. Warning, manually editing registry values can cause system instability and perhaps an unrecoverable failure.
0
 
LVL 43

Expert Comment

by:Eugene Z
ID: 11966192
BTW: use regedt32 to check security of your ODBC DSN - maybe it is problem
0
 
LVL 4

Author Comment

by:Clothahump
ID: 11966521
Eugene - aha!  I went in with regedit.  The registry itself is apparently corrupted.  I can't edit or delete the entry with regedit.

If I were a detective, I would be thinking "This is a clue!"  :-)
0
 
LVL 43

Expert Comment

by:Eugene Z
ID: 11967176
check Security -> permissions - by using regedt32
0
 
LVL 43

Accepted Solution

by:
Eugene Z earned 150 total points
ID: 11967251
one more:
 try login as administrator ( account) and delete DSN ...
Then login as usually - and create new DSN...
0
 
LVL 4

Author Comment

by:Clothahump
ID: 11998396
We wound up reformatting, reinstalling and reloading everything.

I appreciate the effort everyone made.  Even though I didn't really get an answer, I'm going to split points with everyone that tried to help as a way of saying thanks for your efforts.
0
 

Expert Comment

by:MarcDixon
ID: 34522436
I used regedt32 in a DOS window and deleted the corrupt entries in my System DSN ODBC by going to HKEY_LOCAL_SOFTWARE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI. I deleted all folders corresponding to corrupt entries. And in ODBC Data Sources under the ODBC.INI - also deleted entries corresponding to corrupt entries. That fixed it.

My entries got corrupted when I deleted older versions of Oracle from my PC. I had 9i, 10g and 11g installed. When I removed 9i and 10g all System DSN ODBC entries using those two versions became corrupted and couldn't be used or deleted.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article explains how to reset the password of the sa account on a Microsoft SQL Server.  The steps in this article work in SQL 2005, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2014 and 2016.
International Data Corporation (IDC) prognosticates that before the current the year gets over disbursing on IT framework products to be sent in cloud environs will be $37.1B.
Via a live example, show how to shrink a transaction log file down to a reasonable size.
Viewers will learn how to use the UPDATE and DELETE statements to change or remove existing data from their tables. Make a table: Update a specific column given a specific row using the UPDATE statement: Remove a set of values using the DELETE s…

691 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question