[2 days left] What’s wrong with your cloud strategy? Learn why multicloud solutions matter with Nimble Storage.Register Now

x
?
Solved

BackupExec v9.1 / Windows 2003 -- SMTP (mail) notifications are not working correctly!

Posted on 2004-09-02
6
Medium Priority
?
301 Views
Last Modified: 2010-04-03
Someone will be my hero if they can figure this out for me....

We are running BackupExec on two separate boxes within our network -- one copy on our corporate domain, the other within a DMZ domain.  The 'corporate' version of BackupExec is 9.1 (rev 4691) and is running on Windows 2003 Server.  The 'DMZ' version is BackupExec 9.0 (rev 4454) running on Windows 2000.

Here's what's going on.... both of these servers are setup to notify me each night (via SMTP/email) when a job has succeeded or failed.  Currently, neither of those notifications is working.  Easy enough to fix, right?  Well, not quite.  On both servers, when I choose to "test" the SMTP configuration the message comes through just fine and very quickly!  Not once has the "test" ever failed on either server.  I have the recipient configured, enabled, and selected within every backup job, but notifications are never received.  On the 'DMZ' instance, however, I restarted all of the services and received notifications for about 3 days -- and two emails each time -- then they stopped working after that.  The 'corp' instance has never notified me properly following a backup job.  On both servers, the backups themselves are working just fine.

Ok.  Here's the last wrench in this situation.  Our 'corporate' domain is new and so is the install of BackupExec 9.1.  Also, we're running a new install of Exchange 2003.  The 'DMZ' install of BackupExec has not changed at all in this domain switch *except* that it's now pointing to a different IP address for SMTP communication.  Again, the "test" messages work just fine.  I would understand if my new install were mis-configured and notifications were messed up, but I can't find any reason why the old(er) install of BackupExec 9.0 in our 'DMZ' domain would've been affected by any of this.  Hmmm.

Anyhow, my apologies for the lengthy description.  I hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thx,

Chumplet
0
Comment
Question by:chumplet
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
  • 2
6 Comments
 
LVL 30

Expert Comment

by:Duncan Meyers
ID: 11969462
First thing to check is that relaying is turned on for the BE server IP addresses on the Exchange server. Given that the test messages work, that should be OK, but I'd check anyway. Also, if you're running MailMarshall, check that relaying is allowed for the BE server addresses.

You then need to configure recipients (done, obviously), then assign the recipients to the alert categories. It sounds like you may have been through this process already, but: On the navigation bar, click Alerts, then Views, then Active Alerts. Under Alert Tasks in the task pane, click Configure Alert CAtegories. Under Alert Categories, click the alert you want to change. Under the Category Properties, select 'Enable Alerts for this Category' and 'Send notifications to selected recipients'.

And that should be it.  

0
 
LVL 6

Author Comment

by:chumplet
ID: 11976587
Strangely enough, it appears to be working today.  I changed two things: 1) the default "sender" email address for the jobs -- CORPbackups@domainname.com, and 2) I unchecked the "limit the number of notifications sent" for my recipient.  It was set to only allow 3 notifications every 60 minutes.  Anyhow, since making both of those changes our "corporate" backups appear to be sending messages now.  I don't know WHY either of those items would've made any difference, but it seems to have.

I guess I'll keep an eye on it for a week or so.  I'm still not sure if the "DMZ" backup notifications are working properly.

0
 
LVL 6

Author Comment

by:chumplet
ID: 12019590
It appears to be working after I changed the FROM email addresses in both versions of BackupExec.  

Strange.  Very strange.
0
 
LVL 30

Expert Comment

by:Duncan Meyers
ID: 12024286
No objection from me.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
PashaMod earned 0 total points
ID: 12042583
Closed, 500 points refunded.
PashaMod
Community Support Moderator
0

Featured Post

Concerto Cloud for Software Providers & ISVs

Can Concerto Cloud Services help you focus on evolving your application offerings, while delivering the best cloud experience to your customers? From DevOps to revenue models and customer support, the answer is yes!

Learn how Concerto can help you.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

The article will include the best Data Recovery Tools along with their Features, Capabilities, and their Download Links. Hope you’ll enjoy it and will choose the one as required by you.
This article aims to explain the working of CircularLogArchiver. This tool was designed to solve the buildup of log file in cases where systems do not support circular logging or where circular logging is not enabled
This video teaches viewers how to encrypt an external drive that requires a password to read and edit the drive. All tasks are done in Disk Utility. Plug in the external drive you wish to encrypt: Make sure all previous data on the drive has been …
This tutorial will walk an individual through the process of installing the necessary services and then configuring a Windows Server 2012 system as an iSCSI target. To install the necessary roles, go to Server Manager, and select Add Roles and Featu…
Suggested Courses

649 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question