I'm sure I've screwed up a group policy somwhere, but a new SBS 2k3 box I set up for a client cannot be seen in My Network Places. I don't recall it having been there at all during the install, so I can't put a finger on a "I did this, then it happened" time... The W2K Terminal Server sitting next to it is in the master browser list...
You can use a unc path to access any resource on the server, as well as using just \\server to view the available resources, the AD DNS server is happily accepting queries and dynamic updates. DHCP is issuing leases, with the correct Subnet, Router and DNS settings.
There are no login problems such as applying settings for ages, and more annoyingly no errors in the event logs.
I've turned off all network encryption to stop slow transfers, and I'm really hoping I didn't change something I shouldn't have. I tried unlinking all policies in the GP editor, but that didn't help - I may well have not done a correct gpudate, though. I found an "lmannounce" in the lanmanserver (I think) key, but changing that didn't help.
Netbios over TCP/IP has been verified as on.
The real headache with all this is that I can't install Trend Officescan 5.58, as it uses the master browser list to verify the servername you wish to install on. It's really bugging me.
I'm back onsite tomorrow, so hopefully someone here will be able to point me in the right direction...
There was one other thing that freaked me out - maybe unrelated but who knows - I was messing with an old Netgear PS110 print server. When trying to access it from the server, the server threw a stop error (I wrote it down, but don't have it here) the module was netbios.sys. After the restart it's been plain sailing, but the PS110 is completely carked.