I've never done anything like this before, but was thinking this might be a good opportunity to get feedback from some experts perspective.
I've been shortlisted, and now have an interview coming up tomorrow for a "do-it-all" network/desktop/server/telephone troubleshooting position.
They have just sent me this job description, and I wanted to get some feedback. Here's what I know :
- they have been contracting out support up until now
- 3 LAN's, 100+ computers
- 200+ staff
- staff has very little IT knowledge (the person who wrote this description may not have much IT knowledge - but i'm not sure)
Bit about me: I have 10+ years IT experience (mostly helpdesk-type experience), strong web-development and client/server scripting, strong people/training skills, high aptitude for all things IT. I have at least SOME experience in all areas mentioned below.
If you were preparing for this interview, what questions would you be asking ?
Thanks in advace for your thoughts & comments ...
[direct post from the word doc - identifying info removed]
ICT Technician Job Description
1. Job Summary
The purpose of an Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Technician at [xyz company] is to provide maintenance, management and administration support functions of the following network & systems:
1. All Local Area Networks (LANs) including all computers & all peripherals
2. All telephone systems (wireline & wireless) including telephones
3. All remote control systems and other technology related equipment/systems
4. All Security & Fire Alarm systems
The maintenance, management and administration support functions are to be provided for all [xyz company] offices and facilities and property (i.e. administration & various office etc.).
2. Duties and Responsibilities
- To attend classes, seminars and reviews professional literature to enhance knowledge and to stay abreast with trends and new technical developments related to tasks as defined below.
- Be sensitivity to the different levels of staff expertise
- To dedicate his time during working hours completely to the tasks as defined below
- To follow general office practices & regulations and to conduct yourself in a business like manner during working hours.
- Display a positive attitude during working hours
2.2 Maintenance (Hardware & Software)
2.2.1 For all Network & Systems
- To respond promptly to any reported hardware or software problems. As appropriate, to take the action as required rectifying the reported problem, either remotely or via site visits.
- It is the technician's responsibility to determine when a technical problem has exceeded his capability. These problems must then be immediately escalated to the office or department manager as appropriate.
- As applicable, ensure the operational continuity, disaster recovery plans, data back up routines & security goals, as defined, are met by the users. If these goals are in peril, it is the responsibility of the technician to bring it to the attention of the office or department manager.
- Proactively respond to all alerts and indications of potential problems immediately
- Ensure all regularly scheduled maintenance & testing tasks as defined by the office or department manager are completed on time. In the event there is not ample time allotted, it is the responsibility of the technician to bring it to the attention of the appropriate manager.
- Train & instruct staff to follow operating procedures & controls as defined
- Be familiar with the network infrastructure (cable and patch panel, router, hub, Internet access, etc.)
- Follow supplier’s recommended maintenance procedures
- Ensure that any misuse of the system, including the use of unauthorized software or hardware, is brought immediately to the attention of the office or department manager.
- Enter all reported trouble and problem solutions in the computerized trouble reporting, tracking and history system.
- Liaise with external support agencies to resolve faults quickly, when and if necessary.
- Liaise with external suppliers for the repair of equipment under warranty or maintenance contract.
2.2.2 Computer System (LAN, Workstations, Printers, Scanners etc.)
- Monitor the LAN traffic & performance (i.e. Server utilization, Cache hits, Disk capacity, etc.) for possible congestions & operational problems.
- Liaise with the designated person responsible for electrical standards & safety to ensure that all electrical outlets used for LAN and computer hardware meet/comply with the requirements.
- Assist the School’s IT Coordinator in the deployment of computer hardware around the school
2.2.3 Telephone Systems (Wireline & Wireless)
- Monitor the telephone traffic (i.e. trunk, link usage & number of busy signals) to avoid any trunk and system congestions
- Train users, as necessary, in the proper use of the telephone system
2.2.4 Remote Control
- Monitor the telephone lines and the associated equipment (i.e. auto dialer, recorded message according equipment etc.) to ensure uninterrupted operation.
2.3 Updates &Additions (All Systems)
- Test and install all new software
- Make new software available to appropriate users
- Ensure the Anti-Virus & Fire-Wall software is installed, kept up to date and working properly, where required
- Set up and maintain user e-mail accounts
- Test new LAN (i.e. hubs, switches, routers, servers, etc.) & computer (workstation, printers, scanners etc.) equipment on arrival and install in accordance with vendor's specifications.
- Ensure that all installations are needed and meet industry standards.
2.4 Network Management (All Systems)
2.4.1 For all Networks & Systems
- Maintain the computerized Trouble Reporting, Tracking and History system (TRTHS) and ensure all reported trouble and problem solutions are entered in it.
- Use the TRTHS to identify trouble trends, chronic problems & network congestions
- Set-up routine system maintenance & testing schedule in co-ordination with the appropriate office or department manager, to ensure reliable, efficient & uninterrupted network/system operation.
- Make recommendations to the office or department manager, as necessary, to maintain or improve the operational quality & the integrity of the network/systems
- Ensure that the Disaster Recovery Strategy Plan, Redundancy Strategies (if applicable) & the Data Back-Up Schedule are up-to-date and functioning.
- Ensure the hardware & software documentation & drawings are correct & reflect current network configurations.
- Ensure that only authorized staff does programming functions
- Check the network back up logs where appropriate
- Set up, maintain and remove user network accounts where appropriate
2.4.2 Computer System (LAN, workstations, printers, scanners etc.)
- Ensure that the IP Address Scope is current
- Ensure that the Security Strategies (i.e. unauthorized & abuse of access, unauthorized modification & functions etc.) are implemented and up-to-date.
- Ensure that the Access Controls (i.e. identification and password) are implemented & current and that no unauthorized people (i.e. former employees) have access to them.
- Ensure the software licensee agreements are observed & current
- Participates in long and short range technology planning.
2.5.1 For all Networks & Systems
- Maintain inventory (software & hardware) and service records
- Keep suppliers warranty records current
- Check for correctness and authorize all bill payments & invoices from suppliers & service providers