My Windows Forms application requires users to specify certain folders to store output files and I currently am using .Net's FolderBrowserDialog. My problem is that I think this is a terrible interface for browsing folders, and I'm looking for a way to do that is more like the OpenFileDialog.
My list of complaints includes (but is not limited to):
- You cannot resize the dialog box.
- You cannot create new folders, or delete folders
- There is not a link to common locations like My Documents, Desktop, or Favorites
- User's are already used to the OpenFile Dialog style of browsing, so the tree version seems clumsy
I know this can be done, because the VS.Net IDE utilizes a folder browser component that is *exactly* what I'd like. To see what I'd like:
Click Tools --> Options
From the Environment folder, click on 'Projects and Solutions'
There is a 'Settings' Section, click on the Browse button
voila! A folder browser that is just like the Open File Dialog.
Basicly, I'm looking for *any* help in tracking something like this down. I would accept any of the following:
- Info about a third party control that has this same functionality and design that I could buy
- Code that you've used to create this functionality
- Information about what control I can inherit from to create my own control.
- confirmation that this bothers you too and that you are outraged that MS didn't include this control in the Common Components of VS.net