I get Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM Error Message then the system reboots
Posted on 2004-09-10
I have what is obviously a corrupted Maxtor 160GB SATA drive NTFS which is my boot frive for XP Pro.
Why do I think is corrupted because when ever I try to load the OS I get a flash of bsd with the Stop error, the machine reboots, and will carry on all day trying to load the OS and rebooting.
To fix this I have tried the following:
On the original machine, with the dodgy drive as the master.
1. Tried to boot in safe mode etc all the option availabe if you press F8, nothing loads system just reboots as before.
2. booted from XP pro CD, tried repair, get bsd Stop Error machine hangs
3. booted from XP Pro CD, let Setup progress then take Repair option, doesn't get there get bsd Stop error reboot etc.
On second machine running CXP on a FAT drive, SATA drive configured as a slave.
1. Tried second SATA drive that thought was OK, works fine so hardware and setup on second machine is OK.
2. Disconnect OK drive replace it with dodgy one, XP doesn't load get bsd stop error 24 and machine reboots just like the other one did.
3. booted from XP pro CD, let Setup run through to where it gives you repair option, dodgy drive is connected at this point. Ran repair files were copied etc, and the end of al this when machine reboots, get bsd etc as before and machine reboots again.
4. microsoft KNBA 228888 advices that can disable NTFS.sys when dodgy drive not connected then, reboot with it in place then OS should run and therefore can run chkdsk. Didn't work got bsd as before even though NFTS.sys was renamed as NTFS.old.
The problem is I can't get the OS to load when the drive is connected, therefore I can't run any utilities that might fix it, help me recover data.