Advice on HW configuration for a new server build
Posted on 2004-09-20
I am planning to setup a brand new server and have the following hardware. I can install any Microsoft O/S and was leaning towards the newer Windows 2003 Server. I plan to use the server for some web hosting with several SQL Server databases. Unfortunately I only have 1 server, but it should be sufficient.
I want to know:
1) Which is the best O/S and why?
2) Should I use the Ultra66 IDE Controller card ?
3) Is a hardware RAID better than sofwtare RAID and why? Recommendations please.
4) Which RAID should I use? I was leaning towards RAID 5.
5) What software, O/S, etc should I install on each physcal disk?
A lot of questions here, but I am looking for the optimal and most flexible solution. May opt to use this server to host others websites so fault intervention is a concern. Do not want to lose an active drive and want to limit downtime in the case of failure.
With this hardware how would you setup the server to host websites with SQL backends, ASP and ASP.NET frontends. Thanks in advance for the advice.
2 800Mhz Processors
3 (or maybe 4) 80 GB 7200 IDE Hard Drives
Promise Ultra66 IDE Controller