Review plan to Replace NT 4 PDC/Exchange 5.5 Server with new box -Windows 2k DC/exchange 2k
Posted on 2004-09-21
I currently have single domain, 5 servers- an NT4 server as PDC, running exchange 5.5, and two NT BDCs.
I want to upgrade my network with a new machine running Server 2000, and Exchange 2000. ( I am licensed to use Win 2003/Exchange 2003 but I dont' think I can make that leap all at once, correct me if I'm wrong )
None of the ancient NT servers can be upgraded to Server 2000 because of unsupported hardware (RAID controllers & FDDI NICs)
Based on the very valuable advice on this site, I've decided to follow this plan and would like some feedback:
1.Synchronize BDCs with original PDC.
2.Install NT 4 on NEW server and make it a BDC.
3. Promote new server to an NT PDC, which will demote original PDC to an BDC, keeping it on network, with Exchange 5.5 still in place
4. Synchronize all BDCs again
5. Upgrade NEW server to 2000, with AD, and DNS (we are not using DHCP) & make it the DC.
6. Install Exchange 2000 on new server, now running 2000 and AD.
7. Use move mailbox functionality to move Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000.
8. Remove Exchange 5.5
about 75 users, with XP Pro, 2k Pro, and a few NT workstations.
All users have at least outlook 2000, and use .pst files for historical email.
using IMC to connect to another 2000 server acting as gateway to outside