Suggestions for Small Business Content Security
Posted on 2004-09-21
Dear fellow Experts,
Our company has about 80 workstations with 7 servers. Our two domain controllers are win2k. We have an exchange 5.5 server on NT 4.0 server. We are currently using Computer Associates' eTrust Secure Content Manager which includes the eTrust Antivirus for content security in out business. However, we have had many problems with these programs since we purchased them.
We are looking for a product or multiple products that will be able to accomplish the below list:
1. The product needs to be able to filter, monitor, and scan for viruses all HTTP, SMTP, FTP traffic.
1. The product needs to include a proxy. This is usually common because they usually use a proxy so it can monitor and filter HTTP traffic. Our network is arrange in a way that it needs a proxy.
2. Detailed reporting information. This is a must! We need to know what sites the users are visiting, what time they went there, and how long they were there, etc. Most of the products we have seen don't have too much reporting available.
3. We need to filter spam from our Exchange 5.5 server. I have found that the user configurable bayesian anylsis filters seem to work the best.
5. We need to be able to block sites along with monitoring where users are attempted to go to.
6. We need to implement a network wide antivirus solution that can have a central location of administration.
The Secure Content Manager that we have been using has these limitations and more:
1. Documentation is the worst documentation I have ever seen. It doesn't tell you jack squat! And you can't find anything on their webpage.
2. The reports that we can get from the SCM program don't tell us anything. They tell us that certain catagories of webpages were visited, but they don't tell WHO visited those pages. Or it might tell you the top 10 users of the internet, but not what sites they are visiting. Useless!
3. The proxy server has a problem loading large websites. It times out and tech support does not have an answer for us.
4. The spam configuration is complicated and doesn't work once we set it up.
5. The program is hard to use and complex.
If anyone could give some recommendations on either several programs to accomplish what we need or maybe one single program/suite. We basiclly need an all around content security/filter solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.