Not exactly a technical problem this, but I'm just fed up with the two main software packages in this area.
I do not want some piece of bloatware that costs a small fortune and wants to take over my whole PC, launching lots 'services' I don't want - just something simple that actually works, and that I can control.
I don't like NERO (version 5?), despite being told by my tech-savvy friends that it's the one they all use ("and it's much better now"). The UI is terrible - I always have to look up the help files. And its doesn't work reliably with MP3 files when burning audio CDs.
I have been using Roxio 6 with W2K SP2. I am just in the process of re-installing everything on top of W2K SP4, so I installed Roxio 6. On start-up, Windows Explorer acts like an arthritic snail when I try of expand My Computer. When I uninstall Roxio, the problem disappears, and it's not there with SP2. Roxio also takes an age to launch, and polutes my startup with 3 programs that then sit around in memory consuming space and CPU cycles to provide me with services I don't want.
I have 320mb RAM, so that's not the problem.
My main requirements are:
- Burn data backups to CDs and DVDs
- I want to control the burn speed as I don't trust all the clever software tricks used to 'optimise' this.
- Burn speed can be as slow as it likes, provided I get a guaranteed good copy
- Have a built-in read-after-write check to verify the burn
- Occasional burning of audio CDs from MP3 files.
- Must be able to try before I buy.
- Must not launch any programs at Windows start-up.