Apps start, but windows not visible in 10.3.5
Posted on 2004-09-23
I have a G5 1.8DP running 10.3.5 and have two user accounts. With one, I am able to login and everything works as expected. On the other one I recently installed Retrospect 6.0 along with some "Microsoft Auto Update" for Office 2004.
After the 8 hour backup to DVD,
1) I tried starting entourage(splash screen comes up blank and stays that way after the dock icon stops bouncing), no main window appears
2) Safari starts, but no menun bar or windows show up
3) System Preferences bounces in the dock, but no window
4) I can use Command-Tab to shuffle through the list of open programs, but when you select one, nothing happens.
5) Konfabulator doesn't show any widgets on the screen at startup.
I was thinking of opening system preferences to turn off any login items, but since it won't show up, I'm stuck.
I even restarted into Techtool Edrive and ran a full disk check and repaired permissions, and it didn't help.
Remember, this weird stuff is only happening on one user account, not both.
Also, Internet Explorer starts fine and shows up on the screen.