Solved

Outlook says "The action could not be completed. The action could not be completed." (yes, twice) when Check Names pressed

Posted on 2004-09-28
3
1,050 Views
Last Modified: 2012-06-22
Here's the scenario.

I am in a small organization using Exchange 2003 and a combination of Outlook 2002 and 2003. We migrated to a new forest topology, as we have offices in different parts of the world. We did clean installs of everything in the new domains (Win2k3, Exchange 2k3 SP1, etc). When we migrate the users' Outlook profiles from the old domain to the new, we have problems with some, but not all users. Some users, everything goes fine. The other users get this error when they click "Check Names" in the profile config:

"The action could not be completed. The action could not be completed." (yes, twice)

The Outlook Profile will open a new window when they click OK on the error message and they get another opportunity to click a different "Check Names" button. That one says: "The name could not be resolved. The action could not be completed."

To add depth, I am one of the users it works fine for (on my workstation), but if I go and setup my profile on an offending user's workstation, I get the error as well. That rules out server problems, I think.

I have looked at a number of KB articles, including: 833399, 322832, 838800 and a few others I didn't write down. Nothing seems to work. I've even re-installed (clean with reformatting) win2k3 and exchange 2k3 sp1.

The offending workstations are in the same domain as the exchange server, as are the working workstations. I can't find what the difference is between the two. This has been aggravating for 2 weeks now. Please help!

BTW: OWA and POP3 work great with everyone, including the users who can't use outlook.
0
Comment
Question by:geckox
3 Comments
 

Author Comment

by:geckox
ID: 12193955
I figured out what was wrong. I didn't have a forwarder configured in the child domain dns servers to point to the parent domain's dns server. Once the forwarder was configured, it worked wonders. I only wish that it didn't work at all for anyone, rather than work sometimes and not others. That would have made it easier to diagnose.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
ee_ai_construct earned 0 total points
ID: 12194197
Question answered by asker or dialog valuable.
Closed, 500 points refunded.
ee_ai_construct (replacement part #xm34)
Community Support Admin
0
 

Expert Comment

by:pupdak
ID: 23161071
I found this same thing.  It ended up being a corrupt Outlook profile.  I deleted the default Outlook profile, created a new one, and it worked.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: IP Lookup

Get more info about an IP address or domain name, such as organization, abuse contacts and geolocation.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Article by: Rob
Notes 8.5 Archiving Steps and Tips This article covers setting up a Notes archive, and helps understand some of the menu choices making setting up and maintaining a Notes archive file easier.
Email signatures have numerous marketing benefits. Here are 8 top reasons to turn your email signature into a marketing channel.
This Micro Tutorial demonstrates  how Internet marketers work with competitive analysis data, and a common task in data preparation is creating separate column for domains. You will then extract from a list of URLs.
In this Experts Exchange video Micro Tutorial, I'm going to show how small business owners who use Google Apps can save money by setting up what is called a catch-all email address in their Gmail accounts. By using the catch-all feature, small busin…

809 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question