Solved

Flash Scenes / XML Issue

Posted on 2004-09-30
4
294 Views
Last Modified: 2011-10-03
I'm having a problem in my Flash application with Flash Scenes and XML Connector components. I have my XML connector hooked into a dataset which is hooked into a datagrid. Everything was working great, then one day, it just stopped working. I changed nothing in the scene, however I added lots of new Scenes. One Scene should not affect the others, right?

So after fiddling around with th eXML for hours, it still would not work. I decided to press Ctrl-Alt-Enter to compile th ecurrent scene instead of the entire movie. To my suprise the XML started working again. So I have this extremely large flash app (8MB FLA) that will only work if I compile the XML scene seperately.

Has anyone seen this before, or know what could be causing this?


I've put the maximum amount of points for anyone who can resolve this for me. My project is depending on it to work.
0
Comment
Question by:WebArchitect_Vince
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
4 Comments
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:muso120999
ID: 12193436
Okay, might be a memory thing, or someting in your other scenes that's interfering.

Have you tried putting a gotoAndPlay on scene1, frame1 to the XML scene you mentioned, and building the entire Flash?  Does this work?

If not, then my guess is it may be memory related (or even hard-disk space, if you are low on free space).  In this scenario, the options are to upgrade you installed ram, clear space on the hard-drive, and/or split the movie down and have it load in smaller chunks.

If it does, then it might be something else in the movie that is conflicting, of affecting it somehow

Does this help any?
0
 
LVL 3

Accepted Solution

by:
d2kagw earned 500 total points
ID: 12196933
It almost sounds like the animation may be progressing before the XML has a chance to load.
Normally, if you 'test scene' flash would also show streaming, so you get the effect of the XML loading as the interface is loading, which may result in the XML being loaded before the animation needs the data, thus resulting in it being displayed.

Maybe what I would suggest doing is create a second version of the XML file, and remove as much content as posible [just to make the file size as tiny as you can get it, without creating errors in the application] then give the whole animation a go, if it works, then you'll need to put a XML loading progress loop or something to pause the animation while the XML loads, however, if that doesn't work, then maybe try throwing the XML scene into an external SWF and loading it in via LoadMovie... I know this may suck and mess up your project, but if it makes it work then its a good short term fix...

I can't really think of anything else.... unless theres some conflicts with varialbe names... maybe one scene uses the same variable name as one used in the XML scene, which would/could conflict the XML system you've developed.....

Ok, im out of ideas, hope atleast one of these help !!!
0
 

Author Comment

by:WebArchitect_Vince
ID: 13104292
I deleted all of the other scenes and it works now... wierd stuff. closing questions, thanks for the help
0

Featured Post

Online Training Solution

Drastically shorten your training time with WalkMe's advanced online training solution that Guides your trainees to action. Forget about retraining and skyrocket knowledge retention rates.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This is a very simple example to help those of you who are still migrating from AS2 to AS3 understand the redesigned event model in AS3. In AS2.0, event functions (that is, the function to be performed when an event is fired) were stored as a pro…
I know the transition can be hard. We got used to the ease of use ActionScript 2 had, but honestly, it became problematic later on, especially if designers were involved in the project and found it easy to add code as they saw fit. So, this artic…
The goal of the tutorial is to teach the user how to how to load their YouTube profile onto Flash Media Live Encoder.
The goal of the tutorial is to teach the user how to select the video input device. Make sure you have an input device that in connected and work and recognized by Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder and select it in the “video input” menu.

628 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question