Scheduled tasks do not run, log shows "the scheduled task did not run because an incorrect password or user name was used".
Posted on 2004-10-02
I am using a Windows 2003 to schedule multiple backup jobs (using ntbackup). There are more than 10 backup jobs, and 3 jobs running per night. I scheduled those jobs in 1 shot (task scheduler wizard), using the a local admin account (set to run as using the same admin account). A week later I came back to check. Some did run, some did not. Those that did not run showed "the scheduled task did not run because an incorrect password or user name was used" in the task scheduler transaction log. For example, I may be scheduling a full backup on our accounts database, differential backup of artwork files, and full backup of document folders. The next day I may find the documents and accounts db backed up but not the artwork file differential backup. Then yet the following day only the accounts db backup completed successfully.
I opened the property of the tasks that did not run to reset the run as account, since password seems to be the issue the log was pointing at. A few days later I came back to find again some tasks did run, some did not. Another funny thing is that some of the tasks that did run the previous week did not run the 2nd week, even though I did not touch them. Some jobs stubbornly refused to start, their last status forever stuck with "Never" no matter how I reset the password.
I am backing up to hard disk (customer is averse to tapes). I keep the account logged on to the console of the server all the time.
I did manually test out on 1 or 2 tasks, by choosing to run now. I also tried scheduling it to a time so I can watch it happen. They all worked under my eyes. But I can't get rid of the nagging feeling that the OS "forgets" the password behind my back (the account is a local admin account and it has a proper password). Some of the jobs, I had re-entered the password so many times -- I can't be typing the wrong password everytime! I googled on this issue before. It appears there are other people that ran into similar annoyances working on WindowsXP, but no solution / explanation was offered.
I have taken the time to convert all these backup tasks into batch files, and am considering using AT to schedule them instead. But it strikes me that if AT also does not work, I may not even have a log to reference for troubleshooting. Next Tuesday I will check on the jobs again and decide what to do next.
Much appreciation for your kind recommendations.