using NAS as the storage sub-system
Posted on 2004-10-02
I'm interested in learning about using NAS as the storage subsystem for a cluster i'm setting up.
I've been looking at using DAS but its not scalable enough and SAN seems out of my price range.
my questions are:
1. is NAS a viable option? i.e. whenever i want more storage can i just another NAS box to my network?
2. does NAS scale well?
3. how do we deal with the fact that gigabit ethernet is only 125 mbps compared to Ultra320's 320 mbps? do we just put two network cards in each of my app servers and two network cards in each of the NAS boxes?
4. how does NAS appear? just as network drives? i.e. is it just "map a network drive" to find the drives?
5. in reality - is the gigabit ethernet thing a real restriction on NAS?
6. how does NAS work for clustering? does windows server 2003 support NAS for clustering? where do you configure the quorum disk? on one of the NAS machines?