Exchange 2000 Priv1.EDB defrag
Posted on 2004-10-06
A thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Our Exchange server private store has hit 16GB. I've talked a number of the users through deleting mail they don't need and exmerged some old mail to PSTs (removing from Exchange as it goes) - as a result I've got the amount of email down to 12.8GB according to Exchange System Manager. I ran eseutil last night to defrag and rebuild priv1.edb but priv1.EDB dropped only to 15.3GB, with a 900MB priv1.STM - the problem being that the store still dismounts often.
I've used the temporary registry key to allow it to mount at over 16GB, but due to other things beyond my control (dodgy motherboard in the server causing it to reboot almost daily, and then Exchange not mounting without the regkey being added again) it's turning my hair grey rather quickly.
So, the question is - how come even after running eseutil on a database that *should* be 13GB, it's come out at near 16GB again...
Buying the Enterprise license to remove the 16GB limit will happen in future, but not until we get all the user mailboxes under control and imposed limits (I don't want to just tell everyone that all limits are removed and they need not worry about housekeeping). Downtime needs to be kept to a minimum ideally - the best I can get is running any defrags from about 1am-4am and checking back at 6am before anyone gets in the next morning.
Any and all thoughts welcome.