Company looking for cheap additional storage
Posted on 2004-10-06
The situation is:
Small network with around 20 PCs and a Windows 2000 DC/file server.
There is limited storage (50GB) on the hard drives and the owner is not keen to invest in a new large scsi drive as the server is a bit long in the tooth.
He has suggested the following as an alternative:
Linksys Network Storage Link NSLU2 - Network storage server - this connects up to 2 USB hard drives to the network.
For the following reasons:
1. It allows large (300Gb??) hard drives to be put on to it, and if we need to do Mirrors of the data on them it is an easier task.
2. If/when we upgrade or replace server the 'data-boxes' can be kept on-line; reused etc. (I'm sure the server is not far away from an upgrade/replace)
3. If we need to do 'house-keeping' on the data [it would be simpler].
4. We tried the additional hard drive in the server option last time, and we are full again already. USB drives seem easier to piggy-back and swap data when we reach even bigger capacity requirements.
5. They have a nice blue light on the front ! ! ! surely reason enough in itself ! !
I would be interested in comments either pros or cons.