Cisco Router IP & IPX config for over a P2P T1
Posted on 2004-10-07
I am overhauling a network that is in need of serious upgrades -- the "core" router is a Novell 4.11 server w/ 4 nics. There are remote connections that tunnel IPX using SIB installed on old LINUX PC's. Worse of all, they have hubs plugged into hubs plugged into hubs then to a low-end HP switch (!!). If a protocol and frame type exists, the IT people before me turned them on! So far, I have gotten all the AppleTalk turned off and the Novells standardized on 802.3 frame. But I have several remote sites that are connected point-to-point with indivdual T1's back to HQ. I have no provisioning docs for the T1's although I do know they are ATT T1s.
I have some Cisco 2621's, 1751's and a couple of 1601's that I would like to replace some very old Ascend P130's that are used. I have read some articles and Cisco docs trying to figure out the best config to use. All our nets are Class C's. Right now I'll run RIP v2 as that is what all the Novell 4.11 servers run. There are multiple Class C's inside our HQ LAN.
So here is a basic diagram I would like to use as a template:
<-------------------- HQ -----------------------> <------------- Remote----------------->
LAN Seg <------------------> (E0) Router (S0) ----- ATT P2P T1 ------------------ (S0) Router (E0) <------ LAN Seg--->
IP: 192.168.70.0/24 .253 192.168.1.1/30 192.168.1.2 / 30 .254 192.168.100.x/24
IPX: ace (802.3) ace02e ace02e (HDLC) 2e (802.3)
I do not know IPX very well...but I'd like to block any unnecessary SAP's from crossing the T1's if that is needed. Users authenticate to the local Novell IPX server but map drives and print queues off the HQ main Novell 4.11 server.
I do know some basic router config's but I want some clarity on:
1) clock source on the Serial I/Fs' for the p2p t1's. Routers contain WIC1 DSU/CSU cards
2) Do I set default route on the Remote Routers to the Serial interface itself or use an IP address? The default gateway on the HQ router is this Novell 4.11 server i.e. 192.168.70.1
3) Do I need to set up a default IPX route?
4) I'd like to block SAP 7's (printers) from crossing the T1's if that is needed. Lots of HP JetDirects!
5) set up a Loopback interface?
6) Probably a really dumb question, but the /30 network connecting the Serial ports. Can I reuse the same pair of addresses on the other HQ to Remote Serial links or does each pair need to be unique?
7) Do I need to specify bandwidth? Its a full T1 for data only.
Any other config tunings I can use to maximize throughput over the T1's?