Seagate Viper LTO Cyclic Redundancy Check 0x17 CRC Error in Windows 2000 Server
Posted on 2004-10-13
Ok... I'm having major problems with a Tape Backup that I've not been able to resolve.
I have a relately new external Seagate Viper LTO 100/200GB tape backup (within the past year) that is failing on backing up. It fails about 20-30 minutes into the job with a 0x17 CRC Error. Here's what I've tried.
Uninstalled and Reinstalled Backup Exec 9.1, Service Pack 1 for BE9.1, All 9.1 Veritas Hotfixes for BE 9.1, about 3rty million times.
Tried the backup on two different Servers (1 x Windows 2000 SBS, and 1 x Windows 2000 Standard Server), with 3 different SCSI Controllers. 1 x AHA29160, and 2 x AHA2940UW Scsi Controllers.
I've checked that the Bios of the SCSI Controllers is current. It is.
I've checked that the Firmware of the Tape Drive is current. It is.
I've checked that the Drivers for W2K are current. They are.
I've checked the Service Pack Levels of my W2K Servers. They are at SP3 on the W2K Server, and SP4 on the W2K SBS.
I've tried the 3 different types of drivers. The original included on CD with Tape Drive, the OEM driver, and the Microsoft Driver.
I've checked the termination, scsi id, disabled wide negotiation, lowered the transfer rate, etc.
I've checked the scsi cable. It's a LVD cable.
I've ran the cleaning tape several times.
I've tried 3 different types, formated, relabeled, etc.
I've looked the issue up on Google and Experts Exchange. All articles point to changing SCSI parameters such as disabling wide negotiation, checking termination, or lowering the transfer rate.
I've tried NTBackup instead of Backup Exec which results in a similar failure and message about 20-30 minutes into the job. So, it doesn't seem to be a software issue.
I've downloaded the Seagate TapeDrv.exe Diagnostic tools and performed all the read/write and electronics available on the drive. All are successful.
Any other suggestions. This one is eating my lunch.