Connecting storage devices for optimum speed
Posted on 2004-10-14
I posted a question similar to this earlier too. This is for my knowledge sake, not an immediate need (that means i am not gonna try out anything you suggest).
How do you connect your HDDs/CD-ROMs/DVDs for best performance? Assume that I have these four devices and two IDE/EIDE connectors:
1. A Samsung Hard Drive SP0802N (80 GB) - Ultra ATA 133 - 7200 RPM
2. A Samsung Hard Drive VG34323A (4.32 GB)
3. A Samsung CD-ROM (CD Master 52E, Model SC-152C)
In particular, it will be nice to hear your advice on these:
1. Does the data transfer rate depend on Master/Slave connections? Or It doesn't matter whether you put your device on Master or slave?
2. Does the data transfer rate depend on Primary/Seconday connections?
3. How will 4.3 GB perform better, when sharing the controller with the 80 GB or when sharing with the CD-ROM?
4. Does the data transfer rate depend on the data cable? Are there data cable of different speed, or there is no such thing involved about cable?
5. How do I find out what standard (ATA 100/ATA 133) does a HDD support? Any tools/utilities?
Thanks for sharing your expertise.