Exchange server 2003 Rebuild
Posted on 2004-10-15
alright, sit back while i explan the situation.
We are running into issues with our exchange configuration. We are configured for a Front-end and Back-end environment. We have done extensive research, basically everything short of opening a ticket with Microsoft.
While reviewing the system configurition inisde exchange System Manager, i noticed that where the path to the log file is, an error message appeared:
The RPC Server is unavailable
Exchange System Manager.
Why this error message appeared here is beyond me, but it would appear ONLY when i used the System Manager to View the REMOTE Exchange server, i.e on the back-end server while viewing the front end configuration.
This message was always coupled with a system error in the event viewer:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10009
Time: 11:42:09 AM
Description: DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer webmail1.plex.com using any of the configured protocols.
I originally thought that it might have something to do with the fact that the Message store was shut down on the front-end, but testing confirmed that it was not the case.
Also, everything works fine for Outlook and OWA, but when we attempt to start making IMAP or POP3 connections, things begin to break down. both the IMAP and POP3 services were running on the front end server, and I was able to telnet to them via the proper port number, but always received and error after submitting a KNOWN good password:
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'owa.web.com', Server: 'owa.web.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
this would happen regardless of SSL being enabled or not. I think that i am running into some type of communication problem between the front-end and back-end, but cannot figure out how to test/confirm/fix it. The others that i have spoke with suggest that i rebuild my exchange environment. This is in a production enviroment, so i approach this option with some trepidation.
I hope to get a workable answer to this problem, but if not, would accept the best method for eradicating any trace of the exchange environment from AD, and a process for bringing my data back on line. I assume that i will have to retain the same server names and such, but exact steps would be nice.