XP Home - Boot Failure - lsass.exe system error - An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function
Posted on 2004-10-15
System - Compaq Presario Pentium 4 1.7 ghz. Windows XP Home SP2
Initial problem - On power up system failed to boot. Error message was "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system"
Initial response - searched these forums and did the following:
1. Went into recovery console
2. ran chkdisk /r
3. reboot - same problem
4. Went back to recovery console
5. Followed Microsoft instructions to delete \windows\system32\config\system, software, sam, security, default files and replace them with those from the \windows\repair directory
7. after seeing boot screen, received following message: "lsass.exe - system error: an invalid parameter was passed to a service or function".
8. after clicking OK, system reboots and the same sequence repeats.
I have the system recovery disk from Compaq.
Thanks in advance