• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 230
  • Last Modified:

Outlook 2002 SP3 failure to delete items in inbox and failure to receive mail


Recently my version of Outlook 2002 (SP3) stopped accepting new mail into the inbox, and stopped allowing deletion of any items out of the inbox.  The inbox is just over 1GB in size -- well below the stated size limit.  I have found several similar reports, but the fixes they reported didn't work for me.  The details are:

-  When I try to receive email, I get a "Sending and Receiving error 0x80040600"

-  When I try to delete an email out of the inbox, I get a "can't move item" error

-  All other functions in Outlook seem to work fine -- and all other folders.  

-  I have run SCANPST numerous times on the file.  A couple of weeks ago, I got some errors, but lately every time I've run it it comes up clean.

-  I cleared out emails in some of the other folders and compacted the file.

-  Today I completely removed Outlook and reloaded it.  It also has all of the latest upgrades listed by Microsoft.

-  It was running fine until a few days ago, and I had not made any changes to Outlook (or anything else that I can remember) at the time.


I would really appreciate any ideas.




0
HSMerlin
Asked:
HSMerlin
  • 5
  • 5
1 Solution
 
sunray_2003Commented:
Hi HSMerlin,

What type of account you have set in your outlook pop3 , IMAP or exchange ?

Is there any items in your deleted items folder and if yes , remove them all.

Have you recreated the email account inside outlook to see if that would help ?

Have you tried to create a new profile (control panel --> mail --> show profiles) and then setup the email account in there to see if that would help


SR..
0
 
HSMerlinAuthor Commented:

The account is POP3.  

The deleted items folder is empty, and the file has been compacted.

I have not recreated the email account of profiles.  I'll try that, although it seems unlikely.  

Thanks.
0
 
HSMerlinAuthor Commented:

I recreated the email account.  No change.

I also set up a new profile as suggested.  I clicked the "test" button after setting up the profile, and everything worked until it tried to send an email.  

Thanks.  
0
Windows Server 2016: All you need to know

Learn about Hyper-V features that increase functionality and usability of Microsoft Windows Server 2016. Also, throughout this eBook, you’ll find some basic PowerShell examples that will help you leverage the scripts in your environments!

 
sunray_2003Commented:
Have you checked with ISP or mail provider of any issues lately.

0
 
HSMerlinAuthor Commented:
Yes, and they're not reporting any issues.  I also have an older computer (running Outlook 98) that I'm using as a backup way of getting email for right now.  It is using the same account (but a much older version of the PST file) and is working fine.  

0
 
sunray_2003Commented:
HSMerlin,

I donot see an issue with your account then..

Along the way have you created a new PST and checked..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;286146
0
 
HSMerlinAuthor Commented:
Creating a new PST is the next thing I had thought about trying, but I've had a hard time getting everything moved over (emails, contacts, etc.) when I've done it in the past.  Is there a trick to that?  
0
 
sunray_2003Commented:
I think a third party tool like this would surely help
http://www.synchpst.com/pst_files.htm

0
 
HSMerlinAuthor Commented:
I created a new PST today and it finally worked.  I had been putting off trying this because I had experienced difficulties in the past with getting everything moved over from the old file.  If anyone else runs across this issue, the following steps worked for me:

1)  Go to "Mail" under "Settings".  Create a new profile under a different name, and create a new PST file.
2)  Open Outlook using the new profile and select "Import and Export" in the file menu, then "Import from another program or file".  Specify the old PST file name here.

The process actually went pretty smoothly, once I decided that was my only alternative.  I didn't try the synchpst tool recommendation since it didn't look like it was really designed for this purpose--and it turns out it wasn't necessary.  I still don't understand why SCANPST didn't fix it if it was just a file problem, which it sounds like it was.


0
 
sunray_2003Commented:
Thanks for your suggestions.
0

Featured Post

[Webinar] Cloud and Mobile-First Strategy

Maybe you’ve fully adopted the cloud since the beginning. Or maybe you started with on-prem resources but are pursuing a “cloud and mobile first” strategy. Getting to that end state has its challenges. Discover how to build out a 100% cloud and mobile IT strategy in this webinar.

  • 5
  • 5
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now