Just upgraded from Outlook 2001 (XP) to Outlook 2003. The previous email settings, servers, usernames and passwords were all transferred from the previous version. Now I can't download email from one of my accounts. Outlook pops up a window with my email user I/d & p/W. That info is already there, but the email ISP appears to have refused it. When the username & P/w is re-entered, the same window requesting this information re-appears. I checked out the mail account from another PC with Outlook 2001, and it worked fine. For some reason, this ISP (www.idx.com.au
) doesn't like Outlook 2003. I tried changing various settings, (There aren't many to change) with no luck. I have another email account, and it works fine with Outlook 2003. My ISP doesn't have a clue, except to suggest I go back to my old email program.