Some miscellaneous questions about J2EE 1.4 and deployment
Posted on 2004-10-19
I'm looking at j2ee 1.4 tutorials and deployed a few examples. Trouble is that I don't understand many things.
1. For example,the ConverterApp example, under ConverterWAR object, EJB Ref tab, there are the Home Interface and the Local/Remote Interface. The value of Home Interface is "converter.ConverterHome." What does the "converter." preceding ConverterHome refer to? Is is a directory, is it a path for the url using context root as the reference point or what?
2. For a simple JSP app w/ one entity bean and one table (used pointbase), do I have a need for a JAR file or do I only need a WAR file?
3. My jsp page begins w/ the following line:
<%@ page import="converter.Converter, converter.ConverterHome, javax.ejb.*, java.math.*, javax.naming.*, javax.rmi.PortableRemoteObject, java.rmi.RemoteException" %>
What does "converter." in "converter.Converter" from above stand for? Again is it a directory, a url reference or what?
4. In a JSP file, I have the following code:
Object objRef = ic.lookup("java:comp/env/ejb/TheConverter");
What does "java:comp/env/ejb/TheConverter" refer to?
5. Do all JSPs require jspInit() and if not, when not needed?
6. Why is it that Context Root is sometime preceded by a "/" as in "/converter" and sometimes not?
7. When do you need to enter information into the Resource Ref's (tab) section for a WAR file (eg. jdbc/ItemDB as coded name)?