Solved

Seemingly random 'Timeout expired' '80040e31' error

Posted on 2004-10-20
13
1,051 Views
Last Modified: 2012-06-27
I have a page on which users submit information.
A few days ago this problem started occurring.
It's seemingly intermittent/random, but is happening frequently enough to be very very annoying.
Here's the error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e31'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

/directory/page.asp, line 130


There is no script on the page that should take seconds to run, much less reach the timeout time.
If the page submitting the info gets the error, the page can be refreshed (and data resubmitted) and it will work (sometimes).  So, it's not necessarily the data being submitted.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
0
Comment
Question by:jholton
  • 5
  • 3
  • 2
  • +1
13 Comments
 

Expert Comment

by:a_tya
ID: 12367150
Do you have SP3 for SQL SERVER instaled?
0
 

Author Comment

by:jholton
ID: 12369653
I have:

Microsoft SQL Server  2000 - 8.00.760 (Intel X86)   Dec 17 2002 14:22:05   Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)
0
 

Expert Comment

by:a_tya
ID: 12369804
You may have a concurency problem, when many users try to insert in the same time rows in one table . You may have to think of locking that table.

Or

When you set the Connection object try to set timeout property to a greater value.
Good luck!
0
Efficient way to get backups off site to Azure

This user guide provides instructions on how to deploy and configure both a StoneFly Scale Out NAS Enterprise Cloud Drive virtual machine and Veeam Cloud Connect in the Microsoft Azure Cloud.

 

Author Comment

by:jholton
ID: 12370549
I took the query and ran it in query analyzer.
It's a simple insert and it took 40 seconds to run.

Just tried again and it's fine.
It's like something is clogging it up for a while.  At this moment it isn't clogged, but I'm 100% sure it will be before the day is over.

0
 
LVL 34

Expert Comment

by:arbert
ID: 12377697
40seconds to run for an insert???  Sounds a bit long to me.  Did you look at the query plan to see why it's taking so long?

Have you ran Windows Perfmon to see what the diskio looks like?  is your log file and database data file on different disks?

Have you ran SQL Profiler to see all the SQL activity that's taking place at the same time?

Paste your insert code...
0
 

Author Comment

by:jholton
ID: 12381255
It did the same thing this morning.
Submit insert from web site.  Times out after 30 seconds.
Tried the insert from Query Analyzer.  It took 40 seconds, but worked.
Now inserts work as fast as they should from the site and QA.

The query plan looks fine now.  Unfortunately, I didn't have it running when the query took 40 seconds.

Parden my ignorance, but I don't know how to use the Perfmon to evaluate the disk IO.

Log file and database file are on same disk.

Thanks.

0
 
LVL 34

Expert Comment

by:arbert
ID: 12381313
Would you also right click on the database in Enterprise Manager and choose properties.  Look at the options tab.  Do you have the "Auto Close" option selected?

Update speed can be improved if you move your log file onto a different disk from the data file (and from a recoverability standpoint, it should be any way).

Windows Performance Monitor (Start/Run, PERFMON).  You can add a counter for Performance Object PhysicalDisk and look at Avg Disk Write Queue Length and the Avg Disk Read Queue Lengths (for starters).
0
 

Author Comment

by:jholton
ID: 12385055
I've gotten busy today, but I'll try your suggestions when I get the time to.

Is there a way to increase the script timeout value for SQL Server?

Thanks.
0
 
LVL 34

Expert Comment

by:arbert
ID: 12386054
There are several different timeouts (not sure what your code looks like):

server.scripttimeout=0    ' don't timeout at all
connection.timeout=600   'command will timeout after 6minutes
0
 

Author Comment

by:jholton
ID: 12758212
The problem was the log file for the database wasn't committing properly after backups and had grown to 13GB.
We fixe that and the problem went away.

Thanks.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
modulo earned 0 total points
ID: 12792929
PAQed with points refunded (125)

modulo
Community Support Moderator
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Never store passwords in plain text or just their hash: it seems a no-brainier, but there are still plenty of people doing that. I present the why and how on this subject, offering my own real life solution that you can implement right away, bringin…
A company’s centralized system that manages user data, security, and distributed resources is often a focus of criminal attention. Active Directory (AD) is no exception. In truth, it’s even more likely to be targeted due to the number of companies …
Video by: Steve
Using examples as well as descriptions, step through each of the common simple join types, explaining differences in syntax, differences in expected outputs and showing how the queries run along with the actual outputs based upon a simple set of dem…
Polish reports in Access so they look terrific. Take yourself to another level. Equations, Back Color, Alternate Back Color. Write easy VBA Code. Tighten space to use less pages. Launch report from a menu, considering criteria only when it is filled…

730 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question