Solved

Old (netbios) domain visible after domain rename

Posted on 2004-10-21
3
275 Views
Last Modified: 2006-11-17
Here's the situation:
We had an active directory (W3K) integrated domain named "abc.com" , netbios network name "def"
We have  renamed our domain, following the procedure outlined biy Microsoft ("Step-by-step Guide to implementing Domain Rename")
Our domain name is now "klm.com", netbios name is "klm".
 When users go to network locations/all networks/microsoft network they see both netbios names listed, and both lists show the same pc's/servers and they can access shared resources via both trees

How can I get rid of the old netbios network display?????

--added comment--
If I click on the old netbios name on a domain controller, I'm getting an error ("def is not accessible"). But I consider this as being normal: we have two machines that are in a "def" workgroup (not "def"-domain!). This could explain the presence of "def" in the network list
0
Comment
Question by:tdemeyer
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 

Author Comment

by:tdemeyer
ID: 12420325
I just added a new machine on the network, and even that machine announces itself in th old netbios network list.
So must be something on the DC's then I think???
0
 

Author Comment

by:tdemeyer
ID: 12517022
Through another channel I've got a suggestion to veriefy what system acted as the master browser for the old domainame (resource kit browstat utility).

One of our servers must have had a problem during the domain rename procedure: although it showed up as being connected to the new domain, it was still connected to the old netbios name.

The machine worked perfectly fine, but also acted as master browser for the old domain name. Because the SIDs of al machines stay the same in the rename procedure, the server couldn't tell the difference between the old and the new domain names....

After deteching the server from the new domain, rebooting, and joining again the domain, all problems where fixed.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
CetusMOD earned 0 total points
ID: 12519114
Question PAQ'd
225 points refunded.

CetusMOD
Community Support Moderator
0

Featured Post

Salesforce Has Never Been Easier

Improve and reinforce salesforce training & adoption using WalkMe's digital adoption platform. Start saving on costly employee training by creating fast intuitive Walk-Thrus for Salesforce. Claim your Free Account Now

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Downtime reduced, data recovered by utilizing an Experts Exchange Business Account Challenge The United States Marine Corps employs more than 200,000 active-duty Marines with operations in four continents, all requiring complex networking system…
Resolve DNS query failed errors for Exchange
In this video we outline the Physical Segments view of NetCrunch network monitor. By following this brief how-to video, you will be able to learn how NetCrunch visualizes your network, how granular is the information collected, as well as where to f…
Michael from AdRem Software explains how to view the most utilized and worst performing nodes in your network, by accessing the Top Charts view in NetCrunch network monitor (https://www.adremsoft.com/). Top Charts is a view in which you can set seve…
Suggested Courses

630 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question