I have recently upgraded a NT4.0 PDC to Windows 2k using the following steps:
(This is a single domain install, we have only one domain. Simple)
1. Installed a new NT4.0 BDC Server on the LAN.
2. Synchronized NT4 Domain.
3. Took the newly installed NT4 BDC off LAN and moved it to a test hub (no connection to company LAN).
4. Promoted the newly BDC to PDC on the test hub.
5. Installed Win2k srv with Active Directory (Mixed Mode).
6. I did use proper naming conventions: mycompanyname.net (I am following steps in a MS SRV 2K BOOK)
7. The installation process completed successfully with all accounts being there.
1. The Win2k DC is showing no _msdcs, _sites, _TCP, _udp under DNS Fwd zone. Don't know why!
2. My Test environment on the hub has no access to internet/ISP. Is that OK?
3. In NT4.0 I can do manual domain synchronization through server manager, can I do that from Win2K server in Mixed mode. How?
4. Once my configuration and testing is completed with this 2K DC, can I demote the live existing PDC on company network to BDC and bring my New 2K DC to the live network. (I have not seen this done or recommended by Microsoft therefore I am assuming the answer is no). Just curious.
5. In DNS MMC, do I need to remove "." zone and configure forwarders in order to use my ISP's DNS. Don't want to confuse internal browsers in the office.
Sorry about all the question... and thank you at the same time.