Routing Connector Problems
Posted on 2004-10-21
We have two exchange sites running exchange 5.5 servers, and I have installed Exchange 2003 servers in each site as the first step in our migration. We have a few mailboxes moved over to each of the EX2003 servers to test, and all sems to be functional. However, when I look in the queues on each of the 2003 servers (in system manager) I see site connectors that are not functional. Each server has a Site Connector (routing group connector) that says it is unable to bind to server in DNS. I have tested name resolution for both servers to each other and there are no problems whatsoever.
I recently tried to make the new 2003 servers the bridgeheads in each site (using 5.5 administrator, not sure how to so it with exchange 2003 system manager, it is greyed out). Once I made the change, mail started queuing up in each of these connectors and delivery was not occurring. It doesn't seem like I can take our 5.5 servers offline unless I can figure this out. I have gone over DNS settings repeatedly and cannot find any problems with it currently (although in the past there were). I recently ran netdiag /v and found no DNS errors.
Also, for some reason there are two identical Site connectors in site 1 pointing to site 2 (showing in the queues), both are not functional. I am unsure as to how to remove one of them.