WinXP SP2 IE6 : losing ASP Session state when viewing window via window.open()
Posted on 2004-10-22
A user of a (microsoft only) web application I develop is experiencing a loss of Session state when opening a window with the window.open() method. I know that this user's machine has WinXP SP2. I know the SP2 restrictions regarding the window.open() method, and this isn't one of them.
The window itself comes up fine and properly displays various pieces of information gathered from Request.Cookies, Request.QueryString, Request.ServerVariables, and Application variables. But all information gathered via Session variables are blank. If I change window.open() to window.showModalDialog() all information displays as expected. Other XP SP2 boxes I have tested work just fine.
Here is the machine's current state...
- popup blocker has been turned off
- The application's web site has been added to the Trusted Sites list in IE.
- Automatic cookie handling has been overridden to allow all cookies (including ASP Session cookies)
- Security has been set to Low for the appropriate IE zone
- Scanned for spyware with Adaware
- all 3rd party popup blockers have been turned off
- System Mechanic 5 is installed. However, the user says that it only runs when he manually runs it.
I can't recode this window to be a modal(or modeless) dialog because it does a POST back to itself.
Any ideas? Because I'm tapped out...