Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win


Deliveries to mailboxes on my Domain failing randomly

Posted on 2004-10-25
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2008-01-09
Hi there.

I have been getting odd errors over the past couple of weeks where assorted people outside of my organisation have been having mail bounced back when trying to send to some mailboxes on my domain. The DSN's are telling the sender that the Exchange mailbox/user has exceeded their storage allocation.

This is strange in that I have only set a 'soft limit' on the mailboxes in my domain. The user receives a notification but the mailbox is still allowed to send and receive mail at all times. Also, upon checking the mailstore sizes for the accounts concerned I found that they were not actually at the limit anyway!

I have included the text from a DSN below:

-----Original Message-----
From: MAILER-DAEMON@messagelabs.com
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 12:59 PM
Subject: failure notice

This is the mail delivery agent at messagelabs.com.
I was not able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 552 Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <>
X-VirusChecked: Checked
X-Msg-Ref: server-6.tower-56.messagelabs.com!1098100726!35139853
X-StarScan-Version: 5.2.10; banners=soci.org,-,-
X-Originating-IP: []
Received: (qmail 25991 invoked from network); 18 Oct 2004 11:58:46 -0000
Received: from mail. (HELO Internet.) (
  by server-6.tower-56.messagelabs.com with SMTP; 18 Oct 2004 11:58:46 -0000
Received: from SMTP agent by mail gateway
 Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:55:58 -0800
Received: by INTERNET with Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)
      id <KPC5L7G5>; Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:08:32 +0100
Message-ID: <E1A350AB4BA8D5118EDF009027E4032A01DE8713@INTERNET>
From: Richard Denyer <>
To: < >
Subject: RE:
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:08:28 +0100
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

Content-Type: text/plain;

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Question by:mellingham
  • 4
  • 3
LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 12398272
Hi mellingham,
Well, this is only a cursory analysis but do you have any policies which are limiting the sizes of *attachments*? This could potentially cause the same problem even if quotas are not being reached.

LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 12398281
Well, it could also be your firewall. I don't know what kind of firewall solution you have but it may be blocking certain emails which are unterminated, you may want to look into this as well.

Author Comment

ID: 12398293
Thanks for the quick response!

I have implemented max incoming and outgoing message sizes which are limited to 10MB. I would have thought that this would have generated a 'chunk too large' error or something like that but I have checked with the users to see if they were receiving any large attachments from these senders and they seem to think not.

Do you think 10MB is a fair limit or should I up it to see if the problem stops?

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!


Author Comment

ID: 12398351
Had looked at the firewall logs to be on the safe side but the message our firewall gives out is quite different and specific to stripping attachments. Is very odd indeed!
LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 12398852
Well 10MB is fine. Are you enabling an smtp-proxy via the firewall?

Author Comment

ID: 12531383
Hi again...sorry I've been on holiday!

I do have an SMTP proxy via my WatchGuard Firewall. What were you thinking?

Author Comment

ID: 12604133
Hi again.

I think I have nailed it. I checked the Domains that were unable to send to me and it appears that these mail servers do not have a reverse DNS lookup set up. This has been occuring when my mail server has been unavailable and our store-and-forward provider has been taking all the SMTP connections. It turns out that they do not accept connections from servers with no reverse lookup.

Thanks for looking...applying for a closure.

Accepted Solution

CetusMOD earned 0 total points
ID: 12638448
Question PAQ'd
125 points refunded.

Community Support Moderator

Featured Post

Microsoft Certification Exam 74-409

Veeam® is happy to provide the Microsoft community with a study guide prepared by MVP and MCT, Orin Thomas. This guide will take you through each of the exam objectives, helping you to prepare for and pass the examination.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Eseutil Hard Recovery is part of exchange tool and ensures Exchange mailbox data recovery when mailbox gets corrupt due to some problem on Exchange server.
Steps to fix error: “Couldn’t mount the database that you specified. Specified database: HU-DB; Error code: An Active Manager operation fail”
In this video we show how to create a Resource Mailbox in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: Navigate to the Recipients >> Resources tab.: "Recipients" is our default selection …
The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability groups. The components of this video include: 1. Automatic Failover 2. Failover Clustering 3. Active Manager
Suggested Courses

916 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question