Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win


After migration old e-mails fail on reply.

Posted on 2004-10-26
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2008-03-10
I migrated an organization from Windows2000 SBS w/exchange2000, to Windows2003 Standard Server w/Exchange2003.

There is no real migration path so I ended up creating all the user accounts and mailboxes in the new organization then used Exmerge to export the old mailboxes from the old system, and then used Exmerge to import them back to the new mailboxes.
I changed the MX record to the new server IP address and everything looks good. OUWA works fine, Outlook clients internally connect and have no problem. All is well.

Except, when a user tries to reply to one of the old mails that were migrated we get the following.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Subject:      RE: AC Adapter for Compaq Laptop
Sent:      10/26/2004 8:31 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

  username on 10/26/2004 8:32 AM
  The message could not be delivered because the recipient's destination email system is unknown or invalid. Please check the address and try again, or contact your system administrator to verify connectivity to the email system of the recipient.
  <companyname.com #5.1.2>

Have any ideas as to where to look for this issue? The old domain name and new domain name are the same. Only the resolved IP address changed.
Question by:jlangerud
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions

Author Comment

ID: 12412870
After further investigation we found this:
 We had run the Microsoft Office 2003 “Save my settings wizard”, before joining the new domain on the workstations. Then ran the import after joining the domain. This of course moved the outlook.ost to the new user. The chched mode had also moved the Reciently resolved To: addresses. (Type in the first few lerrers of the name and it populates the address.) These e-mail addresses were still tied to the old server name and caused the failure.

We deleted the old .ost files and created new ones. Since outlook had no cached names it had to go to the server and resolve it again and all was again, well with the world.

Thank you for your time.


Accepted Solution

modulo earned 0 total points
ID: 14363922
PAQed with points refunded (125)

Community Support Moderator

Featured Post

Free Tool: SSL Checker

Scans your site and returns information about your SSL implementation and certificate. Helpful for debugging and validating your SSL configuration.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

There are times when we need to generate a report on the inbox rules, where users have set up forwarding externally in their mailbox. In this article, I will be sharing a script I wrote to generate the report in CSV format.
As much as Microsoft wants to kill off PST file support, just as they tried to do with public folders, there are still times when it is useful or downright necessary to export Exchange mailboxes to PST files. Thankfully, it is still possible to e…
The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability groups. The components of this video include: 1. Automatic Failover 2. Failover Clustering 3. Active Manager
This video demonstrates how to sync Microsoft Exchange Public Folders with smartphones using CodeTwo Exchange Sync and Exchange ActiveSync. To learn more about CodeTwo Exchange Sync and download the free trial, go to: http://www.codetwo.com/excha…
Suggested Courses

610 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question