difference between PERC4e/DI and PERC4/DC RAID controllers for Dell servers
Posted on 2004-10-28
I've got 3 questions:
1) What's the difference between a PERC 4e/Di embedded dual channel RAID controller and a PERC4/DC U320 RAID Controller? The second one is much more expensive, both RAID controllers are dual channel, so it must have something to do with the technical specs of these RAID controllers? The first one is embedded and the second one is a PCI-X card you have to add, but there must be something else, performance on second RAID controller is maybe better?
2) Both RAID controllers have 2 channels? What are channels used for? Just to split the data traffic or...
3) I'm planning to attach 2 36GB U320 15k disks to the first channel and configure them in a RAID1 and attach 3 36GB U160 15k disks to the second channel and configure them in a RAID5. I'm planning to use this server as exchange 2003 server with system, paging, and transaction logs on the raid1 container and the database itself on the raid5 container.Is this a good plan or...? also two small subquestions?
1) Is there much difference between U320 and U160?
2) Is it okay to use the channels as I proposed above?
thanks in advance for any help,