high outdiscards on serial T1 interface on cisco 7513

I have racked my brain.  Outbound utilization is only 26% in 95th percentile.  Inbound only 7%.  Showing fairly high outdiscards in the 2% to 3% range for low utilization.   Short of calling in an outage and swapping out the interface for bad hardware.  Do any of you folks have soloutions that I might try.

Thanks in advance

Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

What type of connection is it? Frame-relay? Leased line point-to-point?
Can you post output of "show interface serial x/x/x so we can see what type errors your aare seeing that would cause the discards?
Do you have external CSU/DSU, or is the DSU on the router module itself?
Do all that stuff and also do a "show buff fail" so I can see if your output drops are connected to buffer overruns.
tnystuenAuthor Commented:
It is a serial point to point, no csu/dsu and when I did a show buff fail nothing came up.  Of course it could mean I do not have access to that command.

Here is the output from ho int s10/1/1

I have removed the router name and ips due to security.
sho int s10/1/1
Serial10/1/1 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is cyBus Serial
  Description: : serial link to
  Internet address is
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1536 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, rely 255/255, load 66/255
  Encapsulation HDLC, crc 16, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  Last input 00:00:03, output 00:00:01, output hang never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
  Queueing strategy: VIP-based fair queuing
  Output queue 0/40, 106631 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops, 0 flushes
  5 minute input rate 108000 bits/sec, 89 packets/sec
  5 minute output rate 398000 bits/sec, 75 packets/sec
     131408271 packets input, 3885956237 bytes, 0 no buffer
     Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     600598 input errors, 536863 CRC, 0 frame, 55994 overrun, 7936 ignored, 7741
     116960014 packets output, 905622066 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 output errors, 0 collisions, 10 interface resets
     0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
     45 carrier transitions
     RTS up, CTS up, DTR up, DCD up, DSR up
Ultimate Tool Kit for Technology Solution Provider

Broken down into practical pointers and step-by-step instructions, the IT Service Excellence Tool Kit delivers expert advice for technology solution providers. Get your free copy now.

tnystuenAuthor Commented:
oh yes and I thought about clearing the buffer too.  Thoughts/

>    600598 input errors, 536863 CRC, 0 frame, 55994 overrun, 7936 ignored, 7741 abort
>     45 carrier transitions

This amount of errors is unacceptible.
I would call the telco and make sure they clean up this circuit. 90% of the time, these errors are telco related - bad dax somewhere, bad wire pairs in the street, cross-ixc timing issues, etc. The other 10% is if you have bad wiring between the router and the telco's smart jack.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Counters were never cleared, so it sort of depends on how long this has been up, but yes, that's a lot of errors.  It would be very helpful to have a CSU on this to help determine the nature of the errors, but telco is certainly is your starting point unless you have a T1 loopback plug that you can place on one end or the other.  If you do that and see the errors go away (while continuously pinging to an address you won't succeed on) then the problem has been isolated to a wire/interface beyond that.  It could also be a clocking problem, since it's p2p and all, telco probably isn't providing a clock.  If you're taking errors quickly then you reboot the router and it runs error free for a while, you've probably got  a clocking problem.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.