I have inherited a system at work, for which no one knows the password. My options are to do a rescue boot and change the password (preferred) or to reinstall it. Neither is working right now because of the Raid drivers. here's the situation.
Tyan 2668ANR dual processor motherboard with the PDC20378 (SATA378) RAID chipset integrated.
If I boot to the CD and do a "rescue linux"...
1. I insert the floppy with the drivers on it,
2. it accepts the drivers into the devices list
3. I use "add devices" to install the raid module (all still at the install screens)
4. When I get to the rescue screens, it says it can't recognize the partition on the drives.
5. I drop to a prompt.
6. I go to /dev and see only an hda (no /dev/rd or /dev/ird)
7. When I fdisk the /dev/hda, it thinks the drive is 650MB (incorrect) and it cannot recognize the partition.
If I try to do fresh install from CD...
1-3 the same
4. It gets to the install screens and asks if I want to partition the drive.
5. When I attempt to it says it cannot recognize a valid drive.