Best (optimal) PC configuration with my hardware components?
Posted on 2004-10-29
I am in the process of reconfiguring my hardware in my computer. I have the following:
- 1 160GB 8MB cache 7200RPM
- 1 DVD-ROM / CD-RW combo
- 1 DVD-RW
- 2 80GB 8MB cache 7200RPM (RAID-0) on a separate PCI controller (Adaptec 1200ATA)
- 1 80GB 8MB removable drive via IDE tray
- 1 5GB Tape Drive <--- THIS ONE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE INSTALLED
I want to know the best setup in this circumstance. I cannot install anymore PCI IDE controllers because there's no more room as all my slots are taken up.
I do a lot of video editing using the Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme system.
The system up I have right now is the following:
- 160GB (master)
C: OS / SOFTWARE (APPS&GAMES) (20GB) <--- SWAPFILE ON THIS DRIVE
D: DOCUMENTS (70GB)
E: PROGRAMMING FILES (70GB)
- 80GB (slave) <--- THIS IS THE REMOVABLE DRIVE
F: SCRATCH DISK / DOWNLOADS / ETC.
- DVD-RW (master)
- DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo (slave)
- 2 80GB on a RAID=0
G: VIDEO AND AUDIO FILES FOR VIDEO EDITING
My other questions are:
1. Is the partition setup work fine?
2. Should the swap file have its own partition?
3. Is it better to have a partition separate for software installs from the OS?
Please let me know as soon as possible, as I'd like to get my system back up and running soon.
Thanks in advance,
--= m a b a i t =--